Martinsville- Henry County Chamber of Commerce President
We are actively seeking a strategic, collaborative, career-minded, and highly motivated President to join our team. This position will report to the Chairman and Executive Committee and be based out of the office located at 115 Broad Street, Martinsville, VA.
The President will be responsible for the full range of Chamber activities, including, but not limited to the coordination of the Program of Work, organizational structure and procedures, income and expenditures, community outreach, service and promotion, maintenance of membership, employment, training and supervision of staff, interpretation of policy, and vision planning and maintenance of facility.
In addition to these duties, the President will also serve as the Executive Director of the Chamber's charitable affiliate, C-PEG (Chamber's Partnership for Economic Growth). C-PEG is an independent, yet closely aligned, non-profit affiliate of the Chamber of Commerce. Led by a separate Board of Directors, C-PEG is charged with funding and supporting the area's efforts to improve economic growth.
• Develops and maintains a strong, open, and respectful working relationship with Membership, Board of Directors, and Executive Committee.
• Assists the board in the development and execution of policies adopted by the Board.
• In concert with the Board of Directors, develops and maintains a strategic planning program that clearly communicates the Chamber's mission to the membership and the public and continuously addresses the crucial issues that face the organization.
• Ensures the preparation of accurate and timely monthly and yearly financial statements with detailed information relating to programs and activities.
• Advocates for legislative solutions that benefit its membership and the community at large.
• Represents the Chamber in local, regional, and state government meetings as well as serving as a representative in meetings of local, regional, state, and national organizations.
• Employs, supervises, discharges, evaluates, assigns responsibilities to, and establishes compensation for all employees of the organization.
• Works with the C-PEG board to identify opportunities to assist in the economic growth of Martinsville & Henry County.
• Works with local entrepreneurs to help them get started in their business through the Start-up Program and encourage those business owners to continue to build their businesses through the Grow Program.
• Oversees the Small Business Incubator in Uptown Martinsville.
• Finds grant opportunities to help fund programs that support economic growth, focusing on small business development. Submits grant requests and manage through to completion.
• Develops partnerships between local businesses, city and county personnel and other local organizations to foster economic growth and development.
Experience and Education Requirements:
• Has a bachelor's degree in business administration, public administration or related field.
• Has at least five years of recent progressive management experience with economic development, chamber of commerce or other active community focused groups.
• Has extensive knowledge of state and local government operations including the legislative process.
• Has the ability to review and critically appraise program proposals and other complex issues.
• Is knowledgeable of the Chamber of Commerce industry including the principles of volunteer management, program administration, and strategic planning.
• Demonstrates a strong communications and public relations skills coupled with the ability to influence others in a positive manner. Strong collaborative leader.
• Has previous experience in entrepreneurship including working in or with startups or growth stage businesses
• Demonstrates grant writing and grant management experience.